Friday 29 March 2013

What is animal testing?

What's cruel about a rabbit in eyeliner?

 Sometimes when I tell people about my blog, they seem really surprised that makeup is tested on animals.
"What do they do, just put lipstick on rats?!"

I was google-imaging some photos for this, but as I don't want to upset or scare anyone, one of my hamsters is going to help me demonstrate. 

This is Jeff (or it might be Geoff...as I've mentioned, I actually haven't a clue but I love them both equally so it's OK!)
So adorable!! Now in this next picture is Jeff having applied some really bad lashes, lipstick, eyeshadow as blusher by accident [what does a hamster know about makeup], and having had Geoff give him some blonde highlights.
Ok, looks a bit creepy I admit, but no harm done. He's still got a swagger, he's keeping his chin up. Anyway, that's not what animal testing is, that's an animal experimenting with a bit of makeup.  This would be Jeff been in a lab where animal testing is conducted.

Wow, I know what you're thinking, do I have a degree in photoshop?! No, I don't guys, with practice you could all be this good!
Anyway, using a lot of imagination, we see Jeff's eye is very irritated as chemicals have been put in it, he is in constant pain and can barely see. He has a shaved patch on his front ready for irritants to be placed on there, and he has a bleeding patch on his back where he started to hurt himself in terror.  Once the lab sees how his eye turns out, he will be of no more use and will be killed.

So that's why I didn't put any actual photos, and that's why I try to keep away from companies or products that test on animals.  I don't need to look pretty to the extent where I wish for other animals to be tortured for it. Plus, I'm not a hamster, or a monkey, or a rabbit...things that irritate them might not hurt me, and things that are fine on them might irritate me! It doesn't seem efficient!

So that's a short explanation about what animal testing involves, and my views on it.
 

4 comments:

  1. This was enlightening, I'd be really interested to read a post about which particular brands to avoid (ones that use animal testing) as I'm not very clued up on it and I think it would help a lot of people :) it might make those brands think twice as well if people stopped buying them xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea, thanks Hannah! I'm going to start getting my info together :) xx

      Delete
  2. Can I just say - thank you so much for giving a clear and imformative post about animal testing without having to use those horrific PETA images. I think this goes to show the point can be made without needing to put up those kinds of photos, and personally I take it more seriously when someone just clearly says something rather than trying to use something else to illustrate their point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your lovely comment! :) That's how I was hoping to get the message across- I agree with you that while those images can be powerful, they do make people look away and so can be counter-productive when trying to make a point! x

      Delete